There have been many coyote sightings in the Park Royal area recently. January through March is coyote breeding season, so there is heightened activity during this time.
To date, coyotes have not posed a human safety risk, however they can prey upon pets if they are walked off leash, left outdoors or unattended. It is always wise to exercise caution around wildlife. There is information and tips available at www.parkroyalca.org.
Animal Control encourages people to report sightings to 311 or (905) 615-4311. They keep track of where the coyotes are living and visit the location to check on the animal.
Here are some tips if you encounter a coyote:
- stay calm and wait until it moves away.
- do not turn your back or run (like a dog, this may cause it to chase you).
- if you are approached, stand tall, wave your arms, make yourself as large as possible.
- clap, yell, shout loudly, throw something or make startling movements (coyotes avoid scary situations).
- carry a flash light, audible alarm or an umbrella you can open to startle it.
- carry a cell phone.